For the benefit of the plant communities, wild animals, harvesters, farmers, consumers, manufacturers, retailers and practitioners, we offer this list of wild medicinal plants which we feel are currently most sensitive to the impact of human activities. Our intent is to assure the increasing abundance of the medicinal plants which are currently in decline due to expanding popularity and shrinking habitat and range. UpS is not asking for a moratorium on the use of these herbs. Rather, we are initiating programs designed to preserve these important wild medicinal plants.
“At Risk” List
- American Ginseng - Panax quinquefolius
- Bloodroot - Sanguinaria canadensis
- Black Cohosh - Actaea racemosa L.
- Blue Cohosh - Caulophyllum thalictroides
- Echinacea - Echinacea spp.
- Eyebright - Euphrasia spp.
- False Unicorn Root - Chamaelirium luteum
- Goldenseal - Hydrastis canadensis
- Lady’s Slipper Orchid - Cypripedium spp.
- Lomatium - Lomatium dissectum
- Osha - Ligusticum porteri, L. spp.
- Peyote - Lophophora williamsii
- Sandalwood - Santalum spp. (Hawaii only)
- Slippery Elm - Ulmus rubra Sundew - Drosera spp.
- Trillium, Beth Root -Trillium spp.
- True Unicorn - Aletris farinosa
- Venus’ Fly Trap - Dionaea muscipula
- Virginina Snakeroot - Aristolochia serpentaria
- Wild Yam - Dioscorea villosa,D. spp.
“To Watch” List
- Arnica - Arnica spp.
- Butterfly Weed - Asclepias tuberosa
- Cascara Sagrada - Frangula purshiana (Rhamnus)
- Chaparro - Casatela emoryi
- Elephant Tree - Bursera microphylla
- Gentian - Gentiana spp.
- Goldthread - Coptis spp.
- Kava Kava - Piper methysticum (Hawaii only)
- Lobelia - Lobelia spp.
- Maidenhair Fern - Adiantum pendatum
- Mayapple - Podophyllum peltatum
- Oregon Grape - Mahonia spp.
- Partridge Berry - Mitchella repens
- Pink Root - Spigelia marilandica
- Pipsissewa - Chimaphila umbellata
- Ramps - Allium tricoccum (recently added)
- Spikenard - Aralia racemosa, A. californica
- Stone Root - Collinsonia canadensis
- Stream Orchid - Epipactis gigantea
- Turkey Corn - Dicentra canadensis
- White Sage - Salvia apiana
- Wild Indigo - Baptisia tinctoria
- Yerba Mansa - Anemopsis californica
What It MeansAdopting an ‘At-Risk’ Healing Herb is your five year commitment to sponsor your adopted herb’s page on UpS’s website. The web page will include your logo, a brief description of your organization, and any relevant information you provide. The web page will be regularly updated with current research towards the conservation and propagation of your adopted healing herb. Your adoption fee also helps fund the many programs which fulfill the mission of United Plant Savers.…
- Trillium decumbens-Tennessee
- Trillium discolor-North Carolina
- Trillium lancifolium-Florida, Tennessee
- Trillium parviflorum-Washington
- Trillium recurvatum-Michigan
- *Trillium reliquum – US, Georgia endangered species list
- Trillium sessile-Michigan, New York
- Trillium viride-Illinois, Michigan
- Trillium cernuum-Illinois, Indiana, New York, Ohio, Virginia
- Trillium erectum-Illinois, New York, Rhode Island
- Trillium flexipes-Maryland, New York
- Trillium grandiflorum-Maine, New York
- Trillium nivale-Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin
- *Trillium persistens – US, Georgia Endangered species list
- Trillium pusillum-Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, Tennessee
- Trillium rugelii -Tennessee
- Trillium undulatum-Kentucky, Michigan, New York, Ohio
- Trillium persistens and T. reliquum
- Increased deer populations who forage on herbaceous plants
- The fact that ginseng is slow growing, and reproduces only by seed
Spring into action! Get this amazing poster by joining United Plant Savers. Click here for this and other amazing perks we are offering in honor of our members and the work of UpS. Let's save the plants together... one plant at a time, one conversation at a time — and one member at a time.
Do you have someone or an organization in mind that you would like to nominate for the Medicinal Plant Conservation Award? If so send an email and tell us why. Nominations should be emailed to email@example.com
Call for Articles
Time is running out!
We want to include YOUR article
in the next Journal of Medicinal
Deadline for submissions:
January 10th, 2018
for details click here
Events that Promote the
work and mission of UpS
Florida Herbal Conference
Lake Wales, Florida
February 23th-25th, 2018
2018 DATES ANNOUNCED
United Plant Savers Medicinal Plant Conservation Certificate Program
Spring 2018: Monday, April 30 - Friday, June 8.
Fall 2018: Tuesday, Sept. 4 - Friday, Oct. 12.
Apply Online Now